Thursday, June 14, 2012

Arches National Park - May 2012

Around the middle of April, just after finals week, my parents took my husband and me to Arches National Park in Moab, UT.  The weather was beautiful as well as the scenery.  It was very nice to get to walk around again in the area I've decided to influence the environment of the novel I'm writing.  Most of it takes place in a desert-like area.  We went hiking on many of the trails and saw a lot of lizards!

My dad likes taking pictures.  He has a very nice camera!

Me and Balancing Rock.

Turret Arch.

Me sitting in one of the Windows.  My husband took the pictures.


Mandatory foot picture.  I liked how the orange-red dirt made my brown shoes look green.


And here I got touristy!  We ate dinner the first day at Milt's Diner.  If I remember correctly it's the restaurant that's been in Moab the longest?  It's off the main road in Moab and actually had some pretty good food!  Not that the food looks great in the pictures.  I had a very delicious cheeseburger and banana creme milkshake.




For breakfast and lunch the next day we ate at Zax's, a very nice pizza place.  They also make pretty good pancakes and have interesting decorations/condiment holders/napkins.

Pine Arch.

Landscape arch!  It's so amazingly thin!

But what I thought was really cool was that I found the same puddle-shape this trip as I did back when we visited the park in 2008!  Four years of erosion had certainly changed it, but it was still very recognizable.  I had my eye out for it.  It still looks like both a rabbit or a fish, depending on how you look.

2008                                                       2012

And that was my trip to Arches National Park!  I saw a lot of lizards and convinced my dad to get me Lizards of the American Southwest: A Photographic Field Guide when we left.  I've read part of the introduction so far and it's been very educational!  There are so many amazing, beautiful, and strange lizards!  I'm super excited to have it for reference.  I highly recommend it, and since all the same species of lizard live in all the northwestern states as well, the book is actually good for all of the western states.

1 comment:

Marieke said...

This may sound weird but... that picture of the burger is just gorgeous!! *o* (Can you tell I'm hungry?)

Post a Comment