Tuesday, December 18, 2012

All Terminal Cases Creative Process MEME

I found this thing asking questions about your creative process through Shazzbaa's Tumblr.  Original is here.

This MEME has been split into two posts.  This is the first half.  Second half is HERE.

  • red: is it hard for you to think up new ideas? list three of your biggest influences.
  • orange: what do you do when you’re inspired? do you scream eureka, write the idea down in a notebook, what? 
  • yellow: what do you do when you’re stuck in a block? list three sources of inspiration when new ideas are scarce.
  • green: how do you flesh out an idea? does it take a long time, do you mull over it for hours, or does it come easily? describe the process!
  • blue: depending on your form of art, what are some of your favorite ways to characterize, add detail, design, establish a settling, or otherwise elaborate on the piece? are you fond of world-building, or does that pose a problem for you? (customize this question if you’re an artist or otherwise)
  • indigo: picture of your workspace!
  • violet: describe your work habits. do you eat? do you need music? are you messy or organized? do you keep a notebook? how long can you work at a time? etc.
  • silver: what’s the hardest part of a piece for you? (plot, background, etc)
  • gold: the easiest? 
  • black: what is your least favorite part of the creative process?
  • white: your favorite? 
  • rainbow: do you believe in true originality? 
  • brown: what does it take for you to honestly be proud of something? 
  • pink: what is the most rewarding part of being a writer, artist, etc? 
  • magenta: what drives you the most insANE?
Okay, let's start at the first color.

REDis it hard for you to think up new ideas? list three of your biggest influences.
New ideas are easy for me.  I love coming up with them and am always looking for opportunities and inspiration for them.  My biggest influences are life experiences, other artists, and stories I read.  Vacations are fantastic for finding new ideas.  You should try it sometimes.

Orangewhat do you do when you’re inspired? do you scream eureka, write the idea down in a notebook, what?
I think about it for a long, long time.  I play with the idea quite a bit, then tuck it away in my mind somewhere to remember later if it's not developing enough or can't be applied to what I'm currently working on.  I do have a notebook for jotting down ideas, and I need to do more of that.  At the moment it's just full of short references to my ideas to remind myself what they were if I need help remembering things later.  For now that's working, but I'm sure someday my mind won't have as easy a time remembering things.  That's why I should probably start taking better notes.

Yellowwhat do you do when you’re stuck in a block? list three sources of inspiration when new ideas are scarce.
If I get stuck I have a couple of options.  If the block isn't that bad, I just sit around and think and beat at the idea until I get it working again.  If the block is serious, then I move on to a different project for a while until my subconscious has had long enough to chew on the idea.  However, if that doesn't work, then I have to start just working on the old project again until I can resuscitate it.  I'm having that problem right now with a novel I'm writing.  I find that talking it out with people also helps a lot.  Now let's see... three sources of inspiration for this is basically the same as for the red question.  I will go watch some new TV series, or read a manga, comic, or book.  Then talking.  Lots of talking.  I love it when my friends ask questions and give me things to think about.  It often helps me find answers to things that don't even seem connected.

Greenhow do you flesh out an idea? does it take a long time, do you mull over it for hours, or does it come easily? describe the process!
Again, lots of thinking.  Then, lots of talking to friends.  Then writing things down or drawing, and talking more.  Some ideas come a little more quickly than others.  Once I get a germinated idea, though, it needs to be written down and pushed out of my brain so that other stuff can grow since ideas do tend to get stuck in my mind and play over and over until I write it down or get to talk it out.

Blue:  depending on your form of art, what are some of your favorite ways to characterize, add detail, design, establish a settling, or otherwise elaborate on the piece? are you fond of world-building, or does that pose a problem for you?
I'm still learning the answers to this, actually.  I love writing.  Playing out scenes with the characters to let them show me how they work is my favorite way.  When it comes to drawing I still need to learn a lot about making the best designs in order to portray this.  Right now what I do best is faces and hair... at least that's what I think.  Clothes is a very good way, along with props.  I need to work on that a lot.  I want to get better at it.

I think that is where I will stop for now, since the next question is about my workspace and I'm not quite done putting that together!  I should have that done and ready to share with you come the end of December.  If I don't, I will be very sad.  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment