Friday, March 8, 2013

Concept Design 1 - Pinnochio Concept Work

This is some process work and the final products for my concept design class I took with Jake Parker in late 2011.  We redid Pinnochio for this class, more specifically based on the Disney movie, but I read the book to help with some ideas.  I went with something very, very different from both.

Warning:  Long post.  Lots of pictures!

First we have Gepetto's house.  I decided he was a wizard and trying to create a golem out of clay.





Then Pleasure Island.  It's a floating city in the sky.


Then we designed vehicles.  I cheated and designed a flying turtle.


Then a prop.  I decided to design the wizard's staff.


And now for the characters!  I designed the Blue Fairy, Monstro, and Pinnochio.  I decided to make the Blue Fairy a small, insect-like fairy.




Since Pleasure Island was in the sky, I decided Monstro should be some kind of sky dragon.  After a bunch of sketches I decided to go with something that was a cross between an eastern dragon and a gulper eel.




Then when it came to Pinnochio I thought it would be cool if he was made out of clay.  He would start out as a lump and become more and more person-shaped as he became more human.  I really like how he turned out... and yes.  I know that he resembles No Face from Spirited away.


Then as part of the final project we had to do two story moments.  I chose the Blue Fairy granting Pinnochio life and the escape from Pleasure Island.


Overall, I like some of my concepts and think that this could be a super-cool version of the story.  Maybe I'll play around with it again later, or take some of these elements and put them in a story of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment