Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Concept Design 2 - Chook's Story

After taking concept design 1 from Jake Parker, I took concept design 2 from Justin Kunz (2012 winter semester).  Justin used to work at Blizzard on their environment concept design stuff, and it was his first semester teaching at BYU.  He gave us the option of working on redesigning The Wizard of Oz for the class, or doing our own thing.  I chose to do my own thing and did concept development for one of the novels I'm writing.  It helped me to get me thinking about the story.  Lots of what I came up for for this class is already out of date for the story, but hey, it was good to work through.  Let's go through the environment stuff first.










First I did a bunch of castle silhouettes, then designed a couple castles I liked.  However, the castle in the book is now nothing like this.  The only thing that's similar to what's in the book at the moment are the adobe houses along the sides of the cliff walls.

Ok.  Let's move on to characters!

 First we have Chookery.  He spends a large part of the story stuck as a cat.

 Then we have head roughs for the demon king.  We're not going tho even look at his full body sketch... it's atrocious.  On the right we have the first full body sketch for Ruth, our heroine of the story.

This is Finna.  She didn't exist until this class, but wow.  She came into being and demanded a large role in the story.

As part of the final I redesigned Ruth and drew different outfits for her to wear over the course of the story.  She gets tan.

Then after the class was over I went and did a bunch of outfits for Chookery.  I should redo him.  I should redo all of the people.  I have improved a lot since I drew these a year ago.
Now, on to the animals and critters!  I think they're still pretty close to what's actually in the story.






This is Behemoth.  He went through a couple stages before I settled on the bottom blue drawing.


An ogre, and a troll.  They still need some tweaks, but overall I still like them.

 Dragons!  There's going to be dragons in the story.  Any good fantasy adventure needs them.


Unicorns!  We'll have some wild and dangerous ones, and some more tame and friendly ones.

And lastly, a dard.  I drew him after the class as well while I was writing over the summer.  Dard's are real mythical beasts, but of course I'm altering them to be what I want in my story.

So there you have it, a lot of my concept work for this class and my story.  I have improved a lot since then, but I still have a lot more to work on.  Upward an onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment